Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 21, 2012

Today was a long day for me! I had three appointments and all were in different cities.

The first one was for custom fit braces for my joints. I am having issues with dislocations and I am spraining  things a lot. For sure I am going to be getting a custom hinged ankle and knee brace. My doctor is looking for a  hinged elbow brace but we have not found one we like yet. Also, I am going to get wrist stabilizers without hinges, because my wrists are too wobbly. In a week I am going to go back and have my elbows, ankles, and knees cast and measured so that they can send them to the company who makes them. I am really excited that I get to pick the color! I am planning on picking Zebra print (for EDS) for my ankles and pink for my knee braces.

The second one was a blood draw back in my home town. I saw two trainees behind the counter and told the nurse that if she wanted they could draw my blood since I am a hard stick and I don't feel pain. The trainees decided to stick me. The first one was too scared when he realized that my veins rolled and moved. The second one decided to try and he got me on the first stick! But he moved the needle and we lost it. Even though he didn't want to, I told him to push the needle in more. It worked thankfully!!

The third, and thankfully final, appointment was an RFA procedure in Waco. Radio frequency ablation (RFA) is a medical procedure nervers are ablated using the heat generated from the high frequency alternating current. I was so nervous going in to the procedure because the nurse made it sound like it would be a big deal. Luckily, when I got back there it was a lot of my favorite nurses and I got to have fun conversations with them instead of focusing on the procedure. The only uncomfortable part was when they put the needles in to find the nerves since they can't use numbing medication until they test to see if it is in the correct place. To test to see if it is in the right places they run two types of current to each needle/probe. First the run a steady pressure and then they run a pulsing one, if your leg shakes then they know it needs to be replaced. Right before they do they burning they numb you up really good and you don't feel a thing at all! I smiled the whole time, even when the needles were going on! Although, I was nervous going in so I brought a stuffed hippo with me!

Well it is time to sign off! Tonight is going to be a very long night, the numbing meds are wearing off.
Forever Flexible,
Hallie Rose

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hallie! I clicked over here from the eds fb page. I also have eds and I write for www.dailypath.com about making small improvements in our everyday lives. Email me at writergal75 at gmail dot com. I'd like to talk to you about guest posting here to broaden awareness. Thanks!
    Adrienne McGuire

    ReplyDelete